Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Biblical Studies Carnivals

Doug Chaplin asks us to reconsider our approach to the Biblical Studies Carnivals. He suggests two alternatives to what we've been doing for the last four years: have the host rely entirely on (mainly self-)nominations that are sent in, or have the host do a general theme post with others commenting (Doug seems fond of the latter idea).

I agree with Tyler Williams that anything close to the latter option means we're not talking carnivals anymore, so in my view it should be discarded. But I don't necessarily agree with Tyler that relying on submissions alone "is the only real option", though one could follow this procedure (and I'd be surprised if some carnival hosts haven't already). For myself, I enjoy combing through blogs and feeds as much as (if not more than) relying on what's simply handed to me as a host. Relying on submissions means that quality posts could easily be missed simply because no one takes the trouble to nominate them. Yes, it's more work for the host, but if that's a concern, you shouldn't be signing up to do a carnival more than once a year (maybe even every two years). I suppose that's easy for me to say, since I've only done one carnival so far...

Nor do I like the idea of increasing the frequency of the carnivals. If anything, I would have suggested going in the opposite direction (bi-monthly or quarterly), though I think monthly carnivals are just fine.

In other words, I like the carnivals as they now stand, as both a (monthly) reader and (one-time) host.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen C. Carlson said...

I generally agree, though I'm more intrigued by the theme idea. Maybe a combination of both to see how it goes?

12/03/2009  
Blogger Loren Rosson III said...

I'm open to the idea, Stephen. Chris Heard thinks Tyler and I are off base for claiming that themes and comments don't add up to a carnival (and who am I to challenge Chris on the splendid subject of role playing games), so if enough folks are in favor, I'm willing to give it a try.

12/03/2009  
Anonymous Doug Chaplin said...

I still think the theme is a runner – because if it's done well it will pull a good number of posts into conversation – perhaps not an obvious one. So, for example, I could have taken a theme about say re-interpretations of Paul, or arguing the danger of orientalism in Biblical blogging, that would have allowed me to include a number of good posts in a fairly opinionated pice inviting argument.

12/03/2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home